Waverley Gymnastics Centre (WGC) is strongly committed to the care and wellbeing of our gymnasts, staff and families. We have a zero tolerance approach to any form of child abuse.
We believe the sport of gymnastics is entering a new era and we are 100% behind ensuring that child wellbeing is at the centre of everything we do.
WGC has adopted and implemented Gymnastics Australia’s (GA) Child Safe Policy, to ensure the highest standards are achieved in respect to the protection and safety of all participants.
In addition, WGC has a number of additional supporting policies, codes of conduct and wellbeing strategies that have been created specifically to further support our members. WGC continually reviews these documents to ensure they are of the highest possible standard.
In planning, decision-making, operations and coaching, Waverley Gymnastics Centre is committed to the following:
- Taking a preventative, proactive and participatory approach to child wellbeing.
- Respecting and supporting the diverse needs of all children, young people and their families including those who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, are from culturally and or/linguistically diverse backgrounds, have a disability, or identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer or Questioning, or Allies (LGBTIQA).
- Educating children to know who to talk to if they are worried or are feeling unsafe, and that they are comfortable, encouraged and empowered to raise such issues.
- Fostering a culture of openness that supports all persons to safely disclose risks of harm or neglect to children.
- Providing our employees with ongoing education and supervision on best practice conduct and behaviour towards children.
- Ensuring absolute diligence is undertaken to engage only the most suitable people to work and volunteer within the Club.
- Reporting any suspected child abuse, neglect, or mistreatment promptly to the appropriate authorities.
- Valuing the input of all gymnasts, families, employees and volunteers and ensuring multiple opportunities in a safe space to share their thoughts, feelings and insights.
- Communicating regularly with gymnasts, families, employees and volunteers about child wellbeing at WGC.
The President of Waverley Gymnastics Centre along with the Club Director hereby sign this Child Protection Commitment Statement.